Fantastic Beasts and where to find them: a review
I have to say, I am conflicted. I think I need a second viewing in order to make a proper, informed decision. However these are some thoughts I had while watching:
– Plot holes: one of the seven laws in the wizarding community is Do Not conjure food from nowhere, so when Queenie made her strudel, they broke the law.
– Another plot hole: Newt was expelled from Hogwarts, but still keeps his wand, yet Hagrid wasn’t allowed to do magic after his expulsion.
– No Mag is an awful alternative to muggle and I will never get on board with it.
– J.K calls herself a feminist but hires a man who beat up his wife for being bisexual.
– Newt is a super adorable and awkward cinnamon roll and he needs to be protected.
– There wasn’t enough of his hufflepuff pride.
– I liked that the beasts were based off real life animals, e.g. Niffler’s look like Mole’s etc.
– I did not like Tina or Queenie’s characters. They annoyed me, but hopefully with some character development that opinion will change.
– It was unclear whether Tina and Creedance are actually related or not. If you’re going to throw that hint in, confirm it.
– Having Gellert Grindelwald ‘appear’ at the end made no sense, there should’ve been more focus on him in the plot if that’s the angle they were playing.
– I didn’t think the 1920’s aesthetic reached its full potential.
– The accents pissed me off. I’m sorry, but take me back to Hogwarts please.
– I liked that I was already familiar with some of the terminology, e.g., squib.
– I wish the villains/creatures were something I had already come across.
– Newt is a great character, but I’ve already forgotten many of the other characters names. They didn’t make an impression.
– I think there should’ve been a different plot twist, such as the Hottie who ‘helped’ Creedance being his father, rather than Gellert Grindelward BECAUSE THAT MADE NO SENSE.
– Hogwarts was only mentioned twice. TWICE!
So as you can, I have mixed opinions about the film. I will see it again, objectively, and try to form an article that highlights each flaw and each win. Peace ✌️